Gobble Time: 9 Solid Contenders for the Thanksgiving Table
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Is it just me, or did fall disappear into the vortex? Suddenly Christmas music is already playing on the radio, snow is on the ground, and my calendar reminds me that Thanksgiving is T-7 days away. Thanksgiving is obviously one of my favorite holidays of the year (hello, fellow food obsessors!), but this year it has totally snuck up on me.
So it’s menu planning time! True, most people I know, myself included, usually end up making the same basic things every year. But part of the fun is scoping out new recipes—even if it’s just to decide against them! Here are a few recipes I’ve got my eye on from around the Real Moms Love to Eat website:
- Top Chef alum Carla Hall shared her savory sweet potato pie recipe with us—along with some tips on how to save money and time to make the most of your family time this Thanksgiving.
- Pumpkin soup gets some international flair with this curry-rrific recipe from Noel’s Kitchen Tips. A modern classic.
- When it comes to turkey, I feel like there’s really no budging on tradition, so I’m not going to even bother with a recipe here. But, I do want to give a shout out to choosing heritage turkeys.
- Baked apples: an oldie but a goodie! Here’s my favorite way to prepare this classic dessert.
- Wanna dress it up a bit? Go gourmet with this traditional French Tarte Tatin recipe (pictured right). In terms of taste, it’s totally worth the extra effort.
- You might not have Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins on your fancy dessert table, but this High Sauce and Gloss recipe is a strong contender for a fun new breakfast tradition.
- Hot cider. You just can’t go wrong with that, young or old.
- But, the above 21-set will appreciate an adult beverage, like this uber seasonal Pumpkin Pie Martini…
- If they’re not too busy marveling over this truly inspired Pear Brandy and Prosecco cocktail, that is.
Now, on to the next big to-do: planning the perfect table decor…