The Upper Crust: 5 Great Recipes for National Pie Day
Friday, January 18, 2013
Whoever came up with National Pie Day, observed January 23, is officially my new best friend! I’ll gladly take this new chance to celebrate a delicious form of dessert, wouldn’t you?
To help you celebrate the upcoming day in true Real Moms style, I present a few promising pie recipes to whet your appetite. Let me know if you make any of ‘em—I can always clear my schedule for fresh-baked pie! Once you’re done reading here, remember to hop over to my video blog, Skinny Kitchen Diaries, and check out Dr. Fuhrman’s blueberry pie recipe mentioned below.
- Joel Furhman’s Wild Apple Blueberry Pie. A true culinary achievements, balancing healthy twists with classic flavors (hello, almond and chia seed crust).
- Smitten Kitchen’s S’more Pie, based on a Gourmet recipe. It seems a little, well, juvenile, but looks can be deceiving—this chocolate and marshmallow treat is all grown up.
- Just Putzing Around the Kitchen created this tantalizing Cinnamon Apple Crunch Pie, boasting some of your classic apple flavor with a little extra warmth from the ginger.
- Better Homes and Garden’s Lemon Velvet Cream Pie, a citrus custard pie with plenty of zing. This one is getting me inspired to celebrate pie day a few days early!
- Bon Appetit’s Lattice-Topped Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie, delicious filling in a nice easy crust…though the intricate lattice top is not something I’ve ever personally mastered.